Like many of you, we at the Durango Dharma Center are receiving the news of coronavirus with deep concern. This is a time of great uncertainty and it’s natural to feel anxiety, worry, sadness and other challenging emotions as many beings are affected by both the illness and the ramifications of its spread. Our hearts go out to all who are affected with great compassion and loving-kindness.
We are each responsible not only for protecting ourselves, but for protecting each other. Within our intention of active non-harming, we will be closing the center to in-person programs to mitigate the potential for transmission. This closure will take effect starting Monday, March 16 for three weeks. As conditions rapidly change, we will respond day by day.
While we will not be meeting together in person for a period of time, the Dharma Center is here in the spirit of offering refuge during these strange and uncertain times. We are pleased to be able to offer key programs online during this time and invite you to participate:
- Yong Oh’s Introduction to Mindfulness Meditation class will now be offered online through the Zoom platform. It will start this Wednesday and will be held for four weeks from 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. in the evening. For more information and to register, please click here.
- Starting Monday, March 16, the Monday night sit and dharma talk program will also be held online using the Zoom platfirm. You may join either online (click this link) or by phone (dial 301-715-8592 then enter the meeting ID: 576 765 4067). You may wish to download the free Zoom application for ease of use. Here is the schedule of online talks for the coming weeks:
- Monday, March 16: Dave Smith
- Monday, March 23: Erin Treat
- Monday, March 30: Yong Oh
- Monday, April 6: Kate Siber
- The SenGen Group’s meeting on March 24th will be offered the option to meet online. This will not be the regular format of the KM group. Instead Katherine Barr will be leading an interactive online meeting in the spirit of support for these times. Please click this link to attend.
- The Mindfulness-Based 12-Step meetings on Wednesday 3/18 and Sunday 3/22 will be offered the option to meet online within their regular format. Please click this link to attend. We will keep you informed about upcoming Mindfulness-Based 12-Step meetings after 3/22.
- All other programs (Thursday night sits, Sati Sunday, Extended Practice sessions, Mid Gen and Next Gen) will be cancelled through April 7.
If you are feeling stressed regarding current conditions and would like to touch base with someone from the Dharma Center, please feel free to call 970-426-8983 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. A leader from our collective of board members and longtime practitioners will be available to connect with you during this time.
During times of difficulty, the need for dharma practice is stronger than ever, and the Dharma Center is here to support you to stabilize and stay connected with your practice. We’re staying abreast of changing conditions and will respond nimbly as new information becomes available. We are holding everyone who is impacted by the coronavirus with great compassion and care. May we all stay connected to the goodness of our own hearts and minds as well as each other during these challenging times.
With much metta,
Erin, Yong, Vic, Kate, Lynne, Cindy, Alena and Paula
The Dharma Council and Board of Directors